The Rutgers Summer Jazz Institute is ideal for young instrumentalists, ages 11–18, interested in improving their jazz improvisation, small group, and large ensemble skills. Students will work intensively in daily rehearsals with the internationally renowned, award-winning jazz faculty of Rutgers University’s Mason Gross School of the Arts.
Students will learn and perform music of great jazz artists, including Thelonius Monk, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Duke Ellington, Horace Silver, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Count Basie, and many more in a comprehensive workshop environment on the Douglass/Cook Campus of Rutgers University. The one-week-long jazz camp also contains an Honors component for those that qualify. Commuter and residential options are available for students ages 14-18. Students ages 11-13 are welcome to participate as commuters only.
- Participate in listening sessions of classic Jazz recordings, master classes, small group and large ensemble rehearsals featuring the same music as performed by the original artists.
- Check out the distinguished Mason Gross Jazz Faculty playing classic Jazz live in concert.
- Jam On-Stage on campus and at area venues
- Perform classic Jazz onstage at Nicholas Music Center
- Work with renowned faculty, members of the world-renowned Mason Gross collegiate jazz faculty and special guests
All campers, except Middle School aged students, undergo Live Placement Auditions each year on Sunday, the first day of camp. Middle School students interested in more advanced placement are welcome to audition, as well. During that same time, students interested in also being considered for Honors Placement can perform Honors audition material, as well. The Honors component is optional and available to those interested. There is no signup for Honors placement, as students must simply prepare honors material for their live placement audition if they choose to do so.
Video Auditions are only required for first-time High School age students as part of their camp registration procedure, or those applying for scholarship aid for a given year. These are the only instances a video is ever required which are not associated with, or in place of, live auditions, as mentioned above.
Audition & Registration Procedure
Please learn about our audition and registration process here.